My interests are multidisciplinary and therefore span a range of different research areas that are described below. I am interested in collaboration or supervision associated with any of the the following research areas:
- How are people’s preferences influenced when aggregating potential savings over a large number of people? For example, expressing the potential savings from use of an efficient lightbulb aggregated over an entire city.
- Collaborators: Rick Larrick.
- How are people’s preferences influenced when a single product characteristic (e.g., fuel economy) is represented by multiple translated attributes (e.g., fuel consumed, cost of fuel, carbon emissions)?
Goals and Motivation
- Do people consume more when loyalty program rewards are determined probabilistically?
- Are people more motivated to work when rewards are determined probabilistically?
- Collaborators: Ananta Neelim, Katarina Dankova, José María Ortíz Gómez.
- What motivates people to over-invest in capacity (e.g., car size)?
- What motivates people to invest resources into keeping options open even when they cannot use all available options?
Choices Under Risk and Uncertainty
- How can people be nudged towards making more appropriate retirement investment decisions?
- Does the way you learn about information – from a summary description or acquired from the personal experience – influence your degree of overconfidence?
- Collaborators: Ben Newell.
- How does a product recall influence the way people make related purchases?
- What mathematical model can best capture how decision-makers integrate experiences into mental representations that can subsequently be used to make probability judgement and form preferences? Collaborators: Guy Hawkins, Ben Newell, and Scott Brown.
- How accurate are people’s perceptions of energy inputs and greenhouse gas emissions from food production, and how can this (mis-)understanding be improved through labels?
- What factors cause people to direct money to socially aware investments?
- How can charity donations be encouraged through colour?
Word of Mouth
- What motivates people to share news with others online?
- How are search patterns on e-commerce websites related to purchase behaviour?
- How does word of mouth information from social ties influence purchase decisions?
- What kind of order effects exists when evaluating a product based on its description and reviews?
- How do people integrate information about the number of reviews relative to the number of purchases?